Love lasagna? Me too!
Unfortunately, fitting this food into a calorie-controlled meal plan can be a bit challenging; especially for those of us that don’t have a high daily calorie demand. (If only I was taller so I could eat more!)
Instead of breaking-up this Italian favorite all together, I played around with some basic ingredients to make my own version. This super simple, reduced-fat but protein and nutrient-rich lasagna is made busy-mom style- only 6 ingredients, but a balance of carbohydrates, fat, and protein- just the way a nourishing meal should be!
You can boost the nutritional quality more by adding additional vegetables as you layer it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 4 cups of your favorite sauce (or even homemade)
- 24 ounces of light Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large tomatoes
- 6 pieces of oven ready lasagna noodles (or 102 grams’ total)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine the light ricotta cheese with the parmesan cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Slice the tomatoes thin
- Begin to layer lasagna:
- Cover over the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish with sauce
- Place two pieces of dry lasagna noodles to cover the bottom.
- Cover dry noodles with a thick layer of cheese mixture and then lay tomato slices over the cheese
- Covering with sauce
- Add another layer of noodles, cheese mixture (use the rest of the cheese mixture), tomatoes, and sauce.
- Add a third layer of noodles, cover with sauce and another layer of tomato slices tomatoes slices.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Top it off with pepper, basil and parsley as desired of course. Finally cover with foil and let it bake for 35 minutes then serve accordingly.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Information per Serving: 330 calories, 36 grams’ carbohydrates, 21 grams’ protein, 11 grams’ fat, 3.5 mg saturated fat, 506 mg (40%) calcium, 2 mg (10%) iron, 688 mg (15%) potassium, 890 mg sodium
Nutrition CheckUp Servings: 2.5 CHO; 3 PRO; 2 FAT