Cold nights call for beef stew!
This hot, home-style, healthy meal is a favorite in my house for so many reasons. Here are a few:
- All three of my kids eat it without complaining (#1 REASON!)
- It makes the entire house smell delicious
- It is super simple and uses minimal ingredients
- It incorporates fiber-rich carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients all into one dish
- You can tailor it to your taste buds; use the vegetables you and your family like
- You can do something else while it is cooking. The recipe shared below is not the crock-pot version, but it still simmers on the stovetop over an hour. This gives you time to catch up with the kids, do homework, or clean the kitchen while it cooks
- It makes great leftovers
Serve it in a festive dish and you have a perfect, no-fuss, holiday meal.
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think. Leave a comment below, or share a picture of your finished product with me on IG by tagging #HeatherMangieri
- 2 pounds’ beef filet, top sirloin, raw, trimmed of visible fat and diced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet Beef Stew Seasoning mix (1.5 oz.)
- 2 medium carrots, cleaned, peeled and sliced thick
- 40 ounces’ white potatoes, raw, skins on, diced
- ½ white onion
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Coat beef with flour. Over medium heat, warm oil in a large skillet. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add seasoning packet to 3 cups of water and stir well. Pour mixture over the beef and bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat is cooking, prep the potatoes and carrots. Peel the onion and slice in half. (Do not cut the onion. It will be added for flavor but later removed.)
- Add the diced potatoes, sliced carrots and 1/2 onion to the meat.
- Simmer for 1 hour or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
Recipe makes 8 servings Serving Size- 1 cup
Pairing Recommendation– serve with 1 slice crusty bread and 1 serving fruit
Nutrition Facts (per 1-cup serving)- 320 calories, 31 grams’ carbohydrate, 3 grams’ fiber, 30 grams’ protein, 8 grams’ fat, 2 grams’ saturated fat, 80 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 20% daily iron, 25% daily potassium*
Nutrition CheckUp Meal Prep Servings: 2 CHO; 4 PRO; 2 FAT